EXPLORING AMERICA’S SCENIC TRAILS AT NIGHT UNDER THE GLOW OF A FULL MOON is an adventure full of nighttime sights and sounds.
So lace up your boots, strap on your ski’s, or clamp on your snowshoes and take to the hills and mountain trails under the light of a full moon to experience nature in a different way. Hear nighttime sounds, enjoy the sparkling glow of the snow, and possibly glimpse nocturnal animals on your journey.
Across the country ski clubs, lodges, resorts, farms and wineries offer a variety of full moon treks. Some of the suggestions below include after adventure bonfires, food, drink and entertainment to a full sit-down dinner package. Each outfit’s itinerary is different so make sure to call ahead to get the full details on dates (as they may change), prices and whether or not they supply equipment. To find a venue near you try calling your local ski club or outdoor club, adventure sports facility, or call your closest national park.
P.S. Actually the moon doesn’t produce its own light, it only reflects light from the sun and during the phase of the full moon the reflected light is at it’s brightest.
- TAHOE DONNER Jan. 23, 2016, Full Moon Snowshoe Tour. This scenic snowshoe hike above Donner Lake from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. Meet at Trout Creek Recreation Center and caravan to the trailhead. Call: (530) 587-9437
- SQUAW VALLEY February 13, 2016 Moonlit Snowshoe Tour & Dinner / 3 dinner seatings, (800) 403-0206
- LAKE TAHOE Jan. 23, Feb. 22 & March 23, 2016 Tahoe Adventure Company Full Moon Treks, (866) 830-6125
- MAMMOTH LAKES Jan. 21-23, Feb. 20-22, 2016 Naturalist-guided tour on cross-country skis or snowshoes to experience a winter wonderland lit by moonlight. (800) MAMMOTH
- SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK Jan. 22-23, Feb 19-20, March 25-26 Full Moon Snowshoe Walk, (559) 565-4480
- Steamboat Springs Full Moon Powder ski dinner tour offered by Steamboat Powdercats. Ski and ride prior to dinner during the full moon. These tours are only done by reserving an entire private cat that takes you to your skiing destination. Jan 21-23, Feb.20-22, Mar. 21 – 23. http://www.steamboatpowdercats.com/full-moon-ski-dinner/
- Get Outdoors Colorado – Hike the Highlands Ranch History Park 12 miles south of Denver. Feb. 22. http://www.getoutdoorscolorado.org/activity/full-moon-hike-2
- HILLTOP ORCHARDS – Full moon hikes and snowshoe treks year-round on their Cross-country / Nordic trails in their orchards - weather permitting. This interactive journey incorporates Native American traditions relating to moonlight. Bonfire, wine tasting and entertainment immediately following. Upcoming: Sat. Feb. 20, 2016. http://www.hilltoporchards.com/full-moon-hikes.html
- Maple Corner Farm in Granville is a working family farm since 1812 offers cross-country ski trails leading through pastures and meadows that are lit with luminaries. They offer snacks and desserts with life entertainment. Jan.22 and Feb. 20, 2016 http://www.maplecornerfarm.com/history.html
- Beartooth Recreational Trails Association offers a Moonlight Ski & Demo session February 22nd and March 20th at the Red Lodge Nordic Center. http://www.beartoothtrails.org/
- University of New Hampshire Campus Recreation offers a cross country skiing adventure under the moonlight Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 https://campusrec.unh.edu/program/oiss-moonlight-cross-country-ski
- Cascade Cross Country Center located in the heart of the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, just 5 miles from Lake Placid on Rt. 73 offers lit ski trails providing bonfires, beer, hot dogs and hot chocolate. http://cascadeski.com/fullmoon.html
- Ogden Nordic at North Fork Park, Eden offers a self-guided Tiki Torch lighted route. Jan. 23, Feb. 20 and March 9, 2016. http://www.ogdennordic.com/
- Stafford Nordic Center offers a full moon ski Jan. 23, Feb.22, Mar. 23, 2016. http://straffordnordicskiing.com/full-moon-ski-tour
- Gordon Bubolz Nature Preserve in Appleton, WI offers a 1.5 mile ski or 1 mile snowshoe hike under the moonlight with lit trails. Afterwards relax with a campfire and s’mores. Jan. 22, Feb. 5, Feb. 19, 2016. Info. 920-731-6041. http://www.travelwisconsin.com/events/cross-country-skiing-snowshoeing/moonlight-ski-snowshoe-hike-40736